Turkish employees of Saudi consulate give statements in Khashoggi probe

Yemeni Nobel Peace Prize laureate Tawakkol Karman, flanked by Egyptian opposition politician Ayman Nour, holds

Yemeni Nobel Peace Prize laureate Tawakkol Karman, flanked by Egyptian opposition politician Ayman Nour, holds

Yet he also indicated officials were aware of inconsistencies in the Saudi story so far: "We have our eyes wide open", he said.

Feierstein, now with the Middle East Institute, said he thinks that USA relations with Saudi Arabia should be in the hands of professional diplomats, not the president's adviser.

Turkish officials have been leaking a steady drip feed of details from the investigation to journalists but they have yet to release a key audio recording which sources say exists from inside the Saudi consulate.

In his much-anticipated speech on Tuesday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan offered the first on-the-record timeline of events surrounding the death of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

-3:07 p.m.: Surveillance footage shows vehicles with diplomatic license plates leaving the Saudi Consulate for the consul general's home some 2 kilometres (1.2 miles) away. Statements from the agency said both King Salman and Prince Mohammed express their condolences for his father's death.

The kingdom's weeks of denial and lack of credible evidence in the face of allegations from Turkish officials that Khashoggi had been killed have shaken global confidence in ties with the world's top oil exporter, Western governments say. "There obviously was a tremendous mistake made, and what compounded the mistake was the attempt to try to cover up".

Andrea Nahles, leader of the German Social Democratic Party (SPD), called on the German government to revise relations with Saudi Arabia over the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.

President Donald Trump had also talked about possible punishment but said he didn't want to halt a proposed $110 billion arms sale to Saudi Arabia because, he maintained, it would harm USA manufacturers. "Many questions remain unanswered", Peters said. We are determined to find out all the facts.

Trump appeared initially to accept the Saudi explanation, but USA lawmakers, intelligence officials and foreign policy experts quickly accused the government in Riyadh of a coverup. "I don't want to lose all of that investment that's being made in our country", he said. But their back-channel relationship unnerved many in the Trump administration and Washington foreign policy establishment who feared that the White House was betting too big on the crown prince.

22 2018 shows a portrait of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman displayed in the capital Riyadh
22 2018 shows a portrait of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman displayed in the capital Riyadh

The were to be based in the US, Mexico, India, Malaysia and Saudi Arabia but recruitment for the Saudi post will now not go ahead. As part of an agreement to form a coalition government earlier this year, Merkel and her center-left partners stated that Germany would not approve further arms exports to countries "so long as they are immediately involved in the war in Yemen".

Fred Ryan, The Washington Post's publisher and chief executive, called the Saudi explanation a "coverup".

Saudi officials had tried to insist the 60-year-old dissident left their consulate in Istanbul freely ever since his disappearance two weeks ago.

Khashoggi's doppelganger and a Saudi hit-squad companion are seen taking a taxi to a local tourist attraction where they enter a men's bathroom; he emerges wearing his own clothes again. This is not an explanation; it is a coverup. "The Saudis can not be allowed to fabricate a face-saving solution to an atrocity that appears to have been directed by the highest levels of their government".

The kingdom's closest Arab allies, including the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt, have pledged their support.

Trump told the Post that "something will take place" in response to Khashoggi's death, but said the United States should not let the incident disrupt a possible $110 billion weapons sale to Riyadh he announced previous year. The Saudi statement on Saturday did not address what happened to the body.

"This is not over". On Saturday Riyadh said he was killed in a fistfight in the consulate.

He added that the killing was a "rogue operation" and an "aberration", and promised that those responsible would be punished. "However, we want punishments not only for the 18 men, but also for the authorities that gave the orders". The second of October she, along with the journalist went to the Saudi Consulate and waited for him at the entrance, but he went out and did not, as she immediately reported it to the police. He also said they "don't know where the body is". "But your attractive laugh will remain in my soul forever".

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.