PH lauds Thailand for daring cave rescue of boys soccer team

The last four Thai Navy SEALs come out safely after completing the rescue mission

The last four Thai Navy SEALs come out safely after completing the rescue mission

The film will be based on the 12 young Thai soccer players and their 25-year-old coach who were trapped in a cave for over two weeks.

Expert divers from the Thai Navy SEALs, experienced in conventional diving situations, were faced with an unprecedented challenge.

Narongsak Osatanakorn is the official who oversaw the rescue operation.

"By the time the last diver was out the water was already at head level, nearly to the point where he needed an oxygen tank".

Volanthen was the first person the boys heard after nine days trapped in the flooded cave.

Thailand's junta chief told reporters on Tuesday that the group had been given a "minor tranquiliser" to help calm their nerves.

"My job was to transfer them along".

"We're just very happy that the boys are out and safe", he said.

Video footage emerged Wednesday of several of the Thai boys rescued from a flooded cave recuperating in hospital, as the stunning images of the youngsters being freed from their ordeal on stretchers was also released for the first time.

Parents of the boys have been watching their children at the hospital as they recover and are evaluated by doctors.

"I want to tell the boys, please don't blame yourselves", she said.

The world held its breath over the three days it took to retrieve the Wild Boars.

By the time he was brought out of the cave, he was dehydrated, shivering, and showing signs of hypothermia.

The exact mechanics of the rescue bid were closely guarded during the operation, but details have since dribbled out.

Mr Jewell said: "The diving conditions were extremely challenging, there was poor visibility and responsibility for another human being's life".

Dr Harris said in the lengthy Facebook post that he wanted to write a message that could "give credit to all the people who were in some way involved" in the rescue.

Harris, an anesthetist and underwater cave explorer who is also known as Harry, was the last man out of the cave Tuesday. In a statement, Harris and his dive partner Craig Challen expressed relief at the success of the painstaking operation. He said they survived by drinking clean water dripping into the cave.

"As they were coming down the slope we were counting them, we got to 13".

Arriving at Heathrow Airport on Thursday, Mr Volanthen said it was a "relief" but played down his heroics.

But he said: "The most important thing to have was a full face mask which had been applied inside with positive pressure to enable them to breathe and to be relaxed enough so not to feel any anxiety during the process".

"The teamwork that they went through to get them out is quite phenomenal really".

This is published unedited from the PTI feed.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.